Tips and Tricks. II

My 11+ years of running along with some research has taught me some helful strategies! 1. Running diary. For every run I record my time, distance, pace, as well as the temperature and how I felt during and after. And any other relevant factors. I also write down my non running exercise-swimming and fitness center workouts. 2. Caffeine. This drug has been shown to have a positive effect on endurance. It acts to stimulate the central nervous system, is absorbed within 45 min, and begins to wear off in 3-4 hours. About 85 mg.is recommended. A soft drink contains around 50 mg, an "energy" drink, much more. However, be careful.I did the NJ marathon in 2008, had too much caffeine and experienced heart palpitations. It took almost 7 hours to finish! 3. Mantras. It improves my pace if I repeat an inspiring phrase over and over. My current favorites are "Light, Strong, Fast, Smooth, Easy" and "I feel good, I feel strong, I can do this all day long!" 4. I wear a fit bit to track distance and pace. I found that over a 12 mile distance, my phone records .5 mile LESS, and a slower pace, than the fit bit! I wonder why. 5. Hills. I run down hills, walk up hills, and run on level when I can. Strangely, I find if I try to run more, my pace is often slower. Figuring out my fastest walk/run ratio is a work in progress. 6. Water. I try to remember to drink more in the day or two before a race. Unless it is hot, I usually pass by water stations. 7. Race day strategy. I like to start near the back. It is more fun to pass people than to be passed! Take the tangents on turns. In other words cut corners and save steps wherever possible. Set mini goals. For example, run thru shade, walk thru sun. Run to the next corner, or catch that person just ahead. 8. Reward accomplishments! For a good training run, or a race, I have a "Yellowing Ceremony". I get my training log and a highlighter and Boyd and go to a restaurant. I light a candle, tell Boyd all about it, highlight the run in my log book while I play Chariots of Fire on my phone. Then I blow out the candle and that's it. Kinda cheesy, I know! 9. Realistic goals. Since I started running 11 years ago, my pace improved every year--until January, 2015. My PR for the half marathon (2:38), was set 4 years ago. Despite consistent training and effort, my times have slowed. My goal now for the half marathon is under 3 hours. It is not easy, but I have accepted this!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My half marathon goals

10/7/201-The Shades of Death Half Marathon

8/10/2019. Go Far Woman Half Marathon