10/7/201-The Shades of Death Half Marathon








This half  marathon had a far different vibe than Ocean City last week! Spooky legends abound. The course runs along one of the most haunted lakes in New Jersey, Ghost Lake. Shades of Death Road is said to be cursed due to the poisoned water here which caused the  plague. Many murders have alledgely occured here!
Race day, the road was quiet on farm roads past fields of pumpkins, kale and corn. Also chickens, goats and horses! The weather was cloudy, in the 70's. Although the website said it was "mostly flat", there were many hills.
I mostly walked up hills and ran down, but did a lot of walking the last few miles. Still, I finished in 2 hours, 59 minutes, 59 seconds. ONE SECOND under my goal! I came in 169 out of 174 finishers. I was the only 75-79 year old woman, and my first place award was a knit cap.
How did I finish this race only 1 second under my goal of 3 hours?
Possible factors-
I used the mantra "How Bad Do You Want It?" from the book by the same name by Matt Fitzgerald.  I read this mind over body inspiration just before the race.
Another thing- Boyd ran/walked with me the last mile. And he handed me half a chocolate bar at the halfway point. Still ---only 1 second! Must be fate, or dumb luck.
Two half marathons done and goals met.
Next- Tips and Tricks-I

Comments

  1. So amazed at your spirit and determination, Linda! You are awesome! Will check out your blog often. Also, please thank Boyd for the chocolate today! Made a difference for me!! 🏃🏻‍♀️

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My half marathon goals

8/10/2019. Go Far Woman Half Marathon