Food.diet, and body








I have learned a lot in the last few years. Good health is both a gift and something to work hard for.
  As for the gift part, I have been lucky enough to have no major diseases. I have had an underactive thyroid for over 20 years, well managed by medications. I have Raynaud's disease, a circulation problem in  my hands, which is only symptomatic when I am exposed to cold temperatures. I have had arthroscopic surgery and medial menisectomies in both knees, 5 years ago, but no problems so far. The only medication I take is levothyroxin for my thyroid.
    I believe life style choices are important. I became a vegetarian 20 years ago. No meat, but I do enjoy eggs and dairy. Sometimes I do over indulge, especially on ice cream!
   I started run/walking about 15 years ago. I go out 3 times a week usually, including a long run of 13 miles once a week. My times have slowed in the last 5 years, and I am learning to accept this.
  My weight is between 140-145 lbs. As long as I continue training and stay with a vegetarian diet, I don't have to really watch my weight. My weight seems to have stabilized.
    I also am continuing to work full time. I am a physical therapist, and it is a physically demanding job. More and more, my patients are my age and younger. The combination of run/walking and my job have, I believe, led to my continuing good health. I think too may people retire at 65, or even younger. Sometimes they don't have enough to do and lose purpose in life. I love my job, it gives me purpose and challenge. I don't see a reason to retire yet, although that could change!
I have noticed changes in my body in the last year or two. Although my weight has stayed the same, I am thicker in the middle, and sag in many places! I try to think of these changes as not signs of deterioration, but just accept them for what they are--simply changes. And not to judge my body or accept society's standards of what a healthy body should look like.
   I just finished this half marathon year where I started, at the Ocean City Half Marathon on 9/29/19.  This was the 10th year for the event, all participants got a jacket this year, I finished in 3:06:26, 922 out of 1,001 finishers. I was the oldest female, so won the 75-79 age group, scoring another pair of sox!
   I really don't know what is next, I hope to figure it out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My half marathon goals

10/7/201-The Shades of Death Half Marathon

8/10/2019. Go Far Woman Half Marathon